Kaze

Running Grand Chase Madness on Linux!

I've been looking for a way to play Grand Chase on Linux for quite a while now. This is usually not possible due to anti-cheat malware that uses a whitelist for allowed OSes, which most of the time means Linux gets blocked even if the game itself would work flawlessly. Talking to a personal friend of mine which happens to be a GM for Madness, I was suggested to give it a try and to my surprise everything works flawlessly.

image.thumb.png.790defad4801691a2eb472060407cfb6.png

This thread is a simple guide on how to do the same.

Requirements

• An x86 (32 bit) or x86_64 (64 bit) machine
  • A working installation of any Linux distribution. In this guide I'll provide instructions for Arch and Debian based distributions
  • Basic Linux knowledge. Terminal navigation (cd, ls, cat, etc)
  • The appropriate drivers for your graphics card (Mesa for Intel / AMD, Nouveau for Nvidia, etc)

Dependencies

• Wine Staging (Tested on 4.15, but any should work)
  • Winetricks
    ARCH: yay -Sy wine-staging winetricks
    Debian / Ubuntu: https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

How To

• Install all the dependencies listed on the previous header
  • Download the GC Madness installer from the official website
  • Run the installer using the following command:
    WINEARCH=win32 wine /path/to/GCMadness/setup.exe

• By default, the game's launcher will be at "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Grand\ Chase\ Madness\ Season\ 5/Launcher.exe". If your wine prefix is located somewhere else, use that instead.

• Run `winecfg`

• In the Application tab, select Windows 7 as the Windows Version

• In the Graphics tab, tick "Emulate a virtual desktop" and set the Desktop Size to 1280 x 720

• Click OK

• Run the following command to install the missing DLLs:

WINEARCH=win32 winetricks dlls mfc42

• Run the following command to install the .NET Framework 4.0, which is needed for the Launcher to work properly

WINEARCH=win32 winetricks -q dotnet40 vcrun2010

• Launch the game with the following command:

WINEARCH=win32 wine $HOME/drive_c/Program\ Files/Grand\ Chase\ Madness\ Season\ 5/Launcher.exe

If everything works correctly, the launcher should start and update your game normally. Afterwards, just click Launch and enjoy!

Feel free to ask any questions :)

// TODO: FAQ, Troubleshooting

• Like 1

I'm using Linux with Ubuntu distribution version of 18.04 LTS 64 bit. I want to try it.

Will it work if I just have Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2) ? I don't run external / dedicated GPU (NVIDIA, etc)

Edited by pinkan

On 12/9/2019 at 12:56 AM, pinkan said:

I'm using Linux with Ubuntu distribution version of 18.04 LTS 64 bit. I want to try it.

Will it work if I just have Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2) ? I don't run external / dedicated GPU (NVIDIA, etc)

Probably. There's not really any significant GPU overhead when running games on Wine, so if you have the specs for running the game on Windows you should be fine.

Hi, I played this game on my high school around year 2007 to 2010. 

Can you help me with my problem. I have successfully installed the game in Ubuntu but I can't play it. It crashes on the start when I am choosing a character with the following error on my terminal. I've ran it using wine as instructed above. I can play practice mode but I noticed that there'r no character model showing, (they are invisible)

:( 

Please help me, thank you!

image.thumb.png.25188c57b797b5348aeda82aff31e868.png